Peer Advising - Junior and Senior Psychology Majors
Peer Advisers are psychology students earning course credit to provide guidance to students new to the Psychology major.
Prerequiresites for Peer Advisers:
- Be a junior or senior psychology major.
- Successfull completion of PSY303.
- Have an overall GPA of 3.0 or better.
- Have at least 12 units in the major completed.
- Be interested in developing academic advising and coaching skills.
- Be conscientious about keeping appointments.
Applications for PSY 680 are reviewed during the course registration session of the prior semester (e.g., submit application in Spring to be a Peer Adviser in the Fall). Applications include a two-step process:
- Step 1 of Application - Complete the an online application: https://sfsu.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_cw18WZeiPLv6G1L
- Step 2 of Application - Visit a peer adviser for an in-person interview. Details provided at the end of the online application.
About PSY 680 Peer Advising:
- You will be enrolled PSY680 Peer Advising for 3 units.
- An add code for PSY680 is provided after the selection process.
- Enrollment is determined by the instructor prior to the semester (add codes available 2 weeks prior to the semester).
- You will receive training to advise psychology students about the major.
- You will help create new advising material.
- You will hold 3 consecutive (12PM to 3PM) advising hours per week (to be arranged with instructor approval).
Services Provided by Peer Advisers:
- Descriptions of their favorite Psychology courses.
- Information about the Psychology major.
- Guidance when developing a Course Roadmap for the Psychology Major.
- Information about resources within the Psychology Department.
If you have questions, contact Prof. Kevin Eschleman (email@example.com).
Peer Advising for Fall 2019:
Location: EP 203 (drop-in only)
Monday: 9:00AM to 4:00PM
Tuesday: 9:00AM to 5:00PM
Wednesday: 9:00AM to 5:00PM
Thursday: 9:00AM to 5:00PM