Summer 2017: Study in Chengdu, China
Psychology and related majors are invited to join Department faculty to work with pre-kindergarten through grade 12 students/schools in Chengdu, China. Students who have experience working with children and adolescents are encouraged to apply!
The summer program will run for a total of eight weeks and consists of two parts:
- Passing a 4-week PSY 300 (Current Issues in Psychology) that will be offered on the main campus during June 2017
- Complete a 4-week PSY 558/9 (Field Service Seminar) that will take place in China during July
- Students will earn a total of 6 units in these courses that can be applied to their major elective requirement.
The time in China will require a full-time commitment working with children, adolescents, parents and teachers. To qualify, students must be:
- Current student at SF State in Psychology or related major. Junior standing (60 units) or higher.
- Good academic standing.
- Adequate funds to cover tuition and travel expenses.
Preference will be given to individuals with experience working with children and/or adolescents (including educational settings, counseling, mentoring, etc.)
- Application deadline: 4:00pm, February 10, 2017. Late applications will not be accepted.
- A copy of the student's unofficial transcripts should be included with the application.
- Applications should be submitted to the Psychology Department Office in EP 301. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
- Selection committee will screen applications and select finalist. Finalists will be notified via email about an in-person interview.
- Finalist interviews will be completed no later than February 23, 2017.
Note: A rank ordered waitlist will be kept in case vacancies open after selections are made.
Students will be notified of acceptance via email. The notification email will outline the terms and conditions of the Psychology China Summer Program. Each student will be asked to sign and return the letter. A student who does not comply with the terms and conditions may be dropped from the program at any time prior to or during the experience. Students not selected for the program will also be notified via email.
Financial Aid may be available for students.
Host school (in China) will cover:
- At least 1/2 of the cost of round trip airfare from San Francisco International Airport to Chengdu
- Lodging (dorm room at host school)
- Three meals each day (cafeteria)
- Air and ground transportation to and from Chengdu, China
- Weekly sightseeing trips and entrance fees (if required)
- Cultural visits (e.g., giant Buddha, historic temples, museums, panda breeding and research center, city tour)
- Cultural lessons (e.g., Mandarin lessons, traditional dances and music, Sichuan cuisine)
Students must cover:
- Part-time State tuition: $2,093 (currently for in-state students)
- Passport and visa fees as required by the U.S. Department of State and the People's Republic of China
- A maximum of 1/2 the cost of round trip airfare from San Francisco International Airport to Chengdu (estimated cost: $1,000)
- Other meals (e.g., eating off campus, special foods required for dietary preferences and restrictions that need extra ingredients)
- Individual trips and fees (those not planned by the China Summer program)
- Personal spending money (varies, recommended $300-500)
Attend an informational session on either Wednesday, December 7 or 14 from 6:00-7:00p in EP 304 to learn more about the program.