Graduate Application Deadline Extension!
The deadline to apply to our Master's programs has been extended until Thursday February 15th 2018! Please make sure that your application has been submitted and paid for by this new deadline, and that the department and Graduate Studies have received all required materials (letters of recommendation, test scores, etc) by that date as well.
Graduate Programs Open House
Thank you if you were able to make it to our Open House this year! It was a pleasure to meet you all and answer all of your burning questions. If you weren't able to make it, you can find a video of our presentation here.
Graduate Student Thesis/Research Support
The Psychology Department offers limited funding for graduate student research project. Students should submit a request for funding to the Department Office no later than Friday, December 8. To be eligible for funding the student must:
1. Be currently enrolled at SF State.
2. Have a current research project that has been approved by a Faculty Advisor.
3. Have approval from the IRB to perform the research.
A full list of guidelines and procedures can be found on the Request for Student Support Application.
Change of Major Application- Now Available
Applications for declaring a major or change of major will be accepted from October 1st - November 30th, 2017 for the entry into the major effective Fall 2018. Late applications will not be accepted.
Students must meet the following minimum requirements to be considered for admission:
- Complete PSY 200 (or equivalent) with a grade of C or better
- Have completed a minimum of 60 units by the beginning of the Fall 2018 semester
- GPA of at least 2.0 and must not be on academic probation, subject to disqualification, or other academic hold
If you wish to apply, please fill out the application and submit it to EP 301.
The Core requirements consist of PSY 200, 303, 305GWAR, 371, 400 and 690. Students must earn a grade of C or better in all core classes and a grade of CR must be earned in 303 and 690. Courses 200, 305, 371 and 400 must be taken for a letter grade. There are three basic areas in which students must complete 6 units apiece, for a total of 18 units. Additionally, students must complete 9 units from upper division Psychology electives or from any basic areas.
Students that need to fulfill the Mandatory Advising Requirement must complete the following:
- Print the Psychology Mandatory Advising from the website. Mandatory Advising Form (PDF)
- Meet with a faculty advisor during their office hours. Find an advisor on the psychology information board, or on the website at: http://psychology.sfsu.edu/home/contact.html
- Discuss your plans and address any questions you might have about the major with your advisor and obtain their signature.
- Submit signed form to EP 301 for advising clearance.
Psychology Major Program Impaction